Radon is a naturally-occurring radioactive gas that has no color, smell, or taste. It is present in nearly all soils and is found in the air we breathe every day. Radon comes from the natural decay of uranium. Uranium will decay to radium and eventually radon.
The problem occurs when radon gas enters your home and gets trapped. Breathing air with radon will increase your risk of lung cancer. This risk is multiplied for smokers. As radon decays into radioactive particles they can damage lung tissue and lead to lung cancer over a person’s lifetime. The EPA estimates that radon caused lung cancer kills around 21,000 Americans every year.
Any home can have elevated radon levels regardless of age, condition or design. It depends on how your home interacts with the surrounding soil. Radon levels in your home can vary significantly from your neighbor’s home. Testing is the only way to know if your home has unsafe radon levels.
Testing can be done as part of a home inspection or a stand-alone service.